World Spay Day 2013 Pet Pageant Official Rules
- Contest Period
The WORLD SPAY DAY 2013 PET PAGEANT (the "Contest") begins at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time ("EST") on February 4, 2013 and ends at 12:00 p.m. EST on March 15, 2013 (the "Contest Period").
- Eligibility of Entrant
To be eligible, an entrant must be thirteen (13) years of age or older, except where the laws or regulations of his/her country of residence require a greater age for entry. An entrant who is eligible to enter but who is under the age of legal majority in his/her country of residence must have his/her parent's or legal guardian's permission to enter the Contest. The parent or legal guardian of an entrant under the legal age of majority in his/her country of residence agrees to ensure that the entrant will comply with these official contest rules (the "Official Rules") and warrants that the entrant is capable of agreeing to these Official Rules and giving the consent contained herein. Residents of the states of Arizona, New Jersey, North Dakota, Tennessee, and Vermont and residents of the countries of Belarus, Burma, Cote d'Ivoire, Cuba, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen, Zimbabwe, and any other U.S. sanctioned country are not eligible. The Contest is subject to all applicable international, national, federal, state, provincial, and local laws and regulations. By entering the Contest, an entrant agrees to abide by the laws and regulations of his/her jurisdiction of residence applicable to his/her participation in the Contest. Employees and independent contractors of The Humane Society of the United States ("The HSUS"), Robin Layton, Seth Casteel, Tricia Helfer, Zazzle, their affiliates, and any other individual or entity involved in the development, promotion, or execution of the Contest, and the immediate family members and/or household members of each are not eligible. THE CONTEST IS VOID IN THE STATES OF ARIZONA, NEW JERSEY, NORTH DAKOTA, Tennessee, AND Vermont; IN THE COUNTRIES OF Belarus, Burma, Cote d'Ivoire, Cuba, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen, AND Zimbabwe; AND where prohibited by law.
- How to Enter
The Contest provides two methods for determining prize recipients: selection by a panel of judges and selection via online popular vote (respectively, the "Judges' Choice Awards" and the "Popular Pet Awards"). The Judges' Choice Awards and Popular Pet Awards each contain the following six (6) categories from which prize recipients will be determined:
- Main Pageant
- Most Photogenic
- Best Personality
- Best Hair
- Best Smile
- Miss/Mister Ugly-Cute
Entry into the Main Pageant category of both the Judges' Choice Awards and Popular Pet Awards is free and automatic upon completion of the entry form located at https://petpageant.humanesociety.org/contest.html?page=submit1&contestId=5. The entry form requires you to provide information about you and your pet (including your name, address, telephone number, and email address) and to submit a photograph of your pet. No donation or purchase of any kind is necessary to enter or win the Main Pageant category.
All other categories require a five dollar ($5 USD) entry fee per category. Entry into these additional categories is entirely optional and no donation or purchase of any kind beyond the associated entry fee is necessary to enter or win an additional category. To enter an additional category, select the category by checking the corresponding box on the entry form when prompted and pay the required entry fee.
All components of your completed entry form, including the submitted photograph of your pet, are considered part of your entry into the Contest. You may submit multiple entries to the Contest. However, for purposes of the Popular Pet Awards, please keep in mind that you may not combine votes across your entries. Total vote count is associated with each entry – not with each email address or account. Additionally, if you choose to submit multiple entries to categories requiring an entry fee, you must pay the associated entry fee for each entry you submit.
By submitting your entry, you represent and warrant that your entry complies with the Entry Requirements, as defined in § 4 of these Official Rules, and you agree that The HSUS may deem your entry ineligible and remove it from the Contest website if it determines, in its sole discretion, that your entry either fails to conform to such Entry Requirements or otherwise violates the Official Rules. Furthermore, you acknowledge that you will not be entitled to a refund from The HSUS of any entry fee paid in connection with an entry later deemed ineligible.
All entries shall become the property of The HSUS when received and will not be returned.
- Entry Requirements
Each entry must comply with the following requirements (collectively, the "Entry Requirements"):
- Only online entries are eligible. No submissions received by mail, email, or otherwise will be accepted for entry into the Contest.
- Entries must be received during the Contest Period. Entries received by The HSUS before the Contest Period begins or after it ends are not eligible.
- Entries must be complete, containing responses to all required questions and submission of an acceptable photograph. Responses to questions must be in English, must comply with the indicated character limits, and must not contain URLs. Photographs must be in .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, or .png format, must not exceed 4MB in size, and must not contain URLs.
- Entries must be original. You must be the sole owner and copyright holder of the photograph and any other content contained in your entry, and you must not have granted exclusive rights to all or part of your entry to any other person or entity.
- If the name, likeness, or other identifying information of another individual appears in your entry, you must have obtained prior permission from such individual (or if such individual is under eighteen (18) years of age, from such individual's parent or legal guardian) to use his/her name, likeness, or other identifying information in your entry.
- The animal portrayed in your entry must be your pet. To be "your pet," the animal must either (a) be under your permanent care; or (b) be under the permanent care of a group of individuals of which you are a part. An animal that is currently available for adoption or that is being cared for in preparation for adoption is not considered a pet for purposes of the Contest. The HSUS alone will determine, in its sole discretion, whether a particular animal meets this requirement, and all decisions of The HSUS will be final.
- The animal portrayed in an entry must be a dog, cat, rabbit (domestic), horse, burro, donkey, mule, miniature horse, pony, hamster, gerbil, guinea pig, ferret, mouse (domestic), rat (domestic), pig, chicken, duck, goat, sheep, cow, canary, budgie (parakeet), cockatiel, zebra finch, society finch, lovebird, or fresh water aquarium fish. The HSUS alone will determine, in its sole discretion, whether a particular animal meets this requirement, and all decisions of The HSUS will be final.
- Entries must not contain any material that (a) invades the right of privacy of any individual; (b) infringes any trademark, trade name, trade secret, intellectual property right, or other common law or statutory right; (c) is unlawful, harmful, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, libelous, hateful, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable as determined by The HSUS in its sole discretion; (d) is inconsistent with the programs and policies of The HSUS, including but not limited to hunting imagery, pregnant or unaltered animals, or animals that appear unhealthy, neglected, homeless, deceased, or in danger; (e) violates any applicable local, state, national, or international law; (f) violates any term or provision of these Official Rules.
If your entry fails to comply with the above Entry Requirements, as determined by The HSUS in its sole discretion, The HSUS may deem your entry ineligible. Without limitation, The HSUS also reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to deem any entry ineligible if it reflects negatively upon The HSUS, the Contest, or any other person or entity; is the subject of a notification of potential infringement or violation of law; is otherwise unsuitable for presentation in a public forum; or for any other reason at the sole discretion of The HSUS. If your entry is deemed ineligible, it will be removed from the Contest website and you will be notified via email. The HSUS will not refund any entry fee paid in connection with an entry later deemed ineligible.
- Comments on Entries
All comments posted on entries within the Contest website must adhere to the official commenting policy located at https://petpageant.humanesociety.org/contest.html?page=commentingRules&contestId=5. Violation of this policy may result in removal of comments, termination of accounts, and/or disqualification from the Contest.
- How the Prize Recipients Will Be Determined
One (1) winner will be selected from each category of the Judges' Choice Awards and the Popular Pet Awards (each, individually, a "Winner" and collectively, the "Winners"). Additionally, ten (10) runners-up will be selected from each category of the Popular Pet Awards (each, individually, a "Runner-up" and collectively, the "Runners-up").
Determination of Prize Recipients for the Judges' Choice Awards
Staff members from The HSUS will select five (5) semi-finalists from each category composing the Judges' Choice Awards. A panel of three (3) judges will then select one (1) Winner in each category from among the respective semi-finalists.
Semi-finalists and Winners will be selected based on the following criteria:
- The quality of each entry.
- How well the images and written responses contained in an entry convey the personality of the pet.
- If applicable, how well the images and written responses contained in an entry represent the category
All decisions of The HSUS staff and the judging panel are final. You do not need to collect votes to win in any category of the Judges' Choice Awards. For more information about the individuals composing the judging panel, please see the Judges page.
Determination of Prize Recipients for the Popular Pet Awards
One (1) Winner in each category of the Popular Pet Awards will be determined by counting the number of eligible votes received by each eligible entry during the Contest Period. The entry that receives the most eligible votes in a particular category during the Contest Period shall be deemed the Winner in that category. After the Winner of each category is determined, the next ten (10) entries in each category that receive the most eligible votes during the Contest Period will be named Runners-up in their respective categories. In the event of a tie for either a Winner or a Runner-up, all entries receiving the most eligible votes during the Contest Period shall be considered a Winner or a Runner-up, respectively, and each associated entrant will receive the corresponding prize(s).
For more information about the voting process, including instructions for how to vote and how to track your entry's progress in the Contest, please see the Voting Instructions.
Prizes for Winners
The Winners of each category of the Judges' Choice Awards and the Popular Pet Awards will each receive the following:
- One (1) personalized pet collar engraved with the Winner's pet's name and his/her pageant title. Pets who are unable to wear collars (e.g., fish, birds, hamsters) will receive an alternate prize valued at no more than twenty dollars ($20 USD) chosen by The HSUS at its sole discretion.
- The Winner's photograph will be featured on both The HSUS website and the Contest website in April 2013 as part of a slideshow announcement of the Contest winners.
- The Winner will be permitted to select one (1) of the organizations participating in The HSUS's World Spay Day grant program (each individually a "Participating Organization" and collectively, the "Participating Organizations") to receive a one thousand dollar ($1,000 USD) grant from The HSUS to use in furthering the Participating Organization's spay/neuter program. The HSUS will provide the winner with a list of Participating Organizations from which to choose. Awarding of the grant is subject to the Participating Organization's compliance with the grant policy and requirements of The HSUS. Should a Winner's selected Participating Organization not be able to accept a grant due to noncompliance with The HSUS's grant policies or procedures or for any other reason, The HSUS will attempt to determine an alternate grant recipient from the remaining Participating Organizations in consultation with the Winner. However, The HSUS makes no guarantee as to the ultimate suitability or eligibility of any Participating Organization and reserves the right not to award a grant to a selected Participating Organization or to rescind a provided grant in the event that the Participating Organization does not comply with The HSUS's grant policies and requirements or for any other reason, at the sole discretion of The HSUS.
Additionally, each Winner of the Main Pageant category of both the Judges' Choice Awards and the Popular Choice Awards will receive:
- One (1) copy of Robin Layton's book A Letter to My Dog;
- One (1) copy of Seth Casteel's book Underwater Dogs; and
- The Winner's entry will also be featured as a "Pet of the Week" in April 2013.
The approximate retail value ("ARV") of the prizes for each Winner of the Main Pageant category sixty-two dollars ($62 USD).
The ARV of the prizes for each Winner of all other categories is seventeen dollars ($17 USD).
Prizes for Runners–up in the Popular Pet Awards
All Runners-up in the Popular Pet Awards will have their entered photographs featured on the Contest website in April 2013.
- Prize Recipient Notification/Prize Claims
All Winners and Runners-up (each, individually, a "Prize Recipient" and, collectively, "Prize Recipients") will be determined by April 3, 2013, and will be notified by telephone and/or email by April 10, 2013. In the event that a Prize Recipient is unable to accept a prize, an alternate Prize Recipient will be selected. Prize Recipients will be required to complete and sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release, a W-9 (for U.S. residents) or a W-8BEN (for non-U.S. residents), and, where legal, a Publicity Release, all of which must be returned within thirty (30) days of attempted prize notification or the prize will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate Prize Recipient. If a prize is won by an eligible person who is not of legal age to accept the prize in his/her jurisdiction of residence, the prize may, at The HSUS's sole discretion, be forfeited and awarded to an alternate Prize Recipient, substituted for another prize of equal or lesser value, or awarded in the name of the Prize Recipient's parent or legal guardian, who must sign and return all required documentation prior to receiving the prize. In the event of noncompliance with these Official Rules, or if a prize or prize notification is unclaimed or returned as undeliverable, the prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate Prize Recipient.
- Prize Restrictions
Prizes are not transferable. No substitution of prizes is permitted except at the sole discretion of The HSUS. Any federal, state, provincial, local, or other taxes of any kind on prizes and any expenses related to the acceptance and/or use of the prizes not specified herein as being awarded are the responsibility of the Prize Recipients.
- Additional Terms
By entering the Contest, each entrant and, in the case of an eligible minor, his/her parent and/or legal guardian, agrees to grant to The HSUS and its legal representatives, successors, and assigns the nonexclusive right and permission to use, modify, adapt, reproduce, publish, and distribute his/her entry, or any portion thereof, including the associated submitted photo, throughout the world, in any printed form and by any kind of mechanical or electronic or any other method or device of reproduction, publication, and distribution now known or later developed, during the full term of the copyright, and without notification or payment, in connection with the Contest and/or any future contest or promotion held by The HSUS in connection with World Spay Day.
By accepting a prize, each Prize Recipient and, in the case of an eligible minor, his/her parent and/or legal guardian consents to The HSUS's use of his/her name, likeness, voice, and/or biographical information for promotional and other purposes related to the Contest and/or any future contest or promotion held by The HSUS in connection with World Spay Day without notification or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law.
By accepting a prize, each Prize Recipient and, in the case of an eligible minor, his/her parent and/or legal guardian acknowledges compliance with these Official Rules and agrees to release The HSUS, Robin Layton, Seth Casteel, Tricia Helfer, Zazzle, and their affiliates, officers, directors, employees, independent contractors, representatives, and agents ("Releasees") from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or the receipt, redemption, or use of any prize, including any injuries or damages of any kind sustained in connection with the use, acceptance, possession, or awarding of any prize.
- Limitation of Liability
Releasees are not responsible for printing, typographical, human or other errors of any kind in any Contest-related materials or for stolen, lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, or illegible entries. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, or infection by computer viruses, bugs, or tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, actions of entrants, technical failures, or any other causes corrupt or infect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, The HSUS reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any entry or entrant and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest and at its sole discretion award a prize from among all eligible non-suspect entries validly received prior to the action requiring such modification. By entering the Contest, all entrants agree that the Contest is governed by the laws of the District of Columbia for the resolution of all claims and disputes (excluding any claims against or disputes involving parties other than The HSUS relating to any prize awarded in the Contest).
- List of Prize Recipients
For the names of the Prize Recipients, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to WORLD SPAY DAY 2013 PET PAGEANT, The Humane Society of the United States, 2100 L Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20037. Requests must be received by April 30, 2013.
The HSUS (2100 L Street, N.W., Washington DC 20037) is the sole sponsor of the Contest.